Wednesday, February 4, 2009

More 5:30 am lessons...




It has been a little while since I updated, and there is lots to mention! But first, I want to finish up with more lessons I learned while getting up in the early morning hours with Karis. God was so gracious to reveal these things.

Lesson 3:
In my first 5:30 am lesson post, I mentioned Psalm 103 and how God does not deal with us according to our sins. Further down in this chapter, in verses 14-16, the Bible reminds us that we are only here for a little while:

"For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more."

This truth was important for me. I know that my time with Karis is going to go by so fast. I heard this all the time from people before we had this little girl, and I have tried to take every moment in. However, I was surly ready for the waking up at night to stop! When Karis is older, driving, wearing make-up, etc, I am sure I will miss these days. She's only a tiny baby once, so I am trying to take it all in.

Lesson 4:
I learned that my only true hope is in Jesus. We started giving Karis some baby food, and I thought, "Surely this will help her sleep better." When it didn't make her sleep through the night, I had to really check my heart and realize that I had put hope in that little jar of sweet potatoes. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness, and being reminded of this was hard but so so good and helpful.

Lesson 5:
I was reminded of just how sinful I am and how much I desperately need my Savior. There was such anger in my heart towards Karis when she would wake me up, so much selfishness revealed when all I wanted to do was take care of myself and sleep. I wasn't trusting that the Lord was good and that He was "working all things for good for those who love Him." There were times that I was so overwhelmed by the sin in my heart, but I am so thankful that God would reveal these things to me. One night in particular, I had a major anger issue towards Karis (in midst of fussing and crying, she inadverntantly scratched me under my eye). My heart was so angry, but The Holy Spirit convicted me of this, and I confessed my sin to Karis and practiced sharing the gospel with her. I know there are going to be many more times in the course of my life with my children that I will fail them or sin against them. It was good practice to confess and point to the Gospel, as I know I will probably have to do this a lot in the future.

It has been quite a learning time for me. I have prayed that God would use this little life to make me more like Jesus, and I am so thankful for Karis being in my life! I LOVE my daughter so much! I pray that God will continue to reveal sin and help me fight for holiness. I am thankful for His grace and His mercy.


No comments: