Sunday, October 26, 2008

50 years

In 1958 Earl Grindstaff married Gwen Padgett and went on to have a little girl and three little boys. Their little girl, Julie, went on to marry and have two little girls, one of whom is me! I am blessed to have a Nana and a Pawpaw who stuck to their wedding vows and have been together for 50 years. This weekend we celebrated their marriage by having a big anniversary party and so many family and friends came to show their love. I am thankful for my grand-parents and for the example of commitment and love that they have given me and all of my aunts, uncles, cousins and everyone. It is not common now-a-days to see people who have entered into the sacred union of marriage to make it to their 50th anniversary. Sadly, divorce is rampant in our culture. Blake and I were having a conversation today about how not much is sacred anymore to the world. God, life, and marriage aren't viewed as the sacred things that they are. However, I am so encouraged when I get to see glimpses of God's grace in lives that do hold the sacred dear. My sweet nana and pawpaw are an encouragement to me, and I am thankful for the grace of God that has kept them together all these years. Marriage can be difficult, and when based on feelings and not truth it is much more likely to dissolve. I love my husband, and I made a commitment to him 3 years ago to be his wife until death parts us. With God's grace, and our marriage built on Jesus Christ, we'll get to celebrate our 50th anniversary on June 4, 2055! I'm looking forward to that day!

Here are some pictures of my grandparents, taken by my wonderful husband!


My nana and pawpaw and their wedding party back in 1958


Nana and Pawpaw 50 years later

No comments: